Only declared CCJS majors will be admitted to the CCJS Honors Program. Additional admissions requirements for the CCJS Honors Program include:
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 3.25
- A minimum 3.40 GPA in all CCJS major coursework
- Satisfactory completion of CCJS 100, CCJS 105, and CCJS 200 (or approved advanced statistics course)
- Completion of CCJS300 is suggested, but not required
- Evidence of satisfactory writing
- A minimum of 4 semesters remaining as of Fall 2023
- Students should be rising Juniors
Meeting all requirements does not guarantee admission. Only the top applicants, as determined by the Honors Director, will be admitted into the CCJS Honors Program.
How to Apply:
The application deadline for the Fall 2023 cohort is: 4:00 PM on Thursday, June 1, 2023
Applicants must complete and submit the following materials:
- The Honors Program Application
- An unofficial transcript
- A one page statement explaining each of the following:
- Why you are a suitable candidate for the CCJS Honors Program (e.g. prior research experience, ability to conduct research, participation in learning communities, internships).
- Why you would like to participate in the CCJS Honors Program and how participation will help you reach your career goals.
- Describe your research interest. What area of criminology and criminal justice are you most interested in and why?
- A writing sample that is approximately 3-5 pages in length related to criminology, criminal justice, or adjacent substantive topic. The writing sample can be a portion of a larger paper or a paper on its own. Please note on the writing sample for which class the paper was written (this helps understand the context/subject of the paper).
All application materials should be submitted to the CCJS Undergraduate Advising Office. Applications must be submitted via email to ccjsadvising [at] umd.edu.