Applying for Graduation
The deadline to apply for graduation is the 10th day of class of the semester in which you intend to graduate.
Spring 2020 Commencement
Date: Friday, May 22, 2020
Time: 1:00 PM
Location: Xfinity Center
Information regarding the campus-wide ceremony is posted on University Commencement website.
Criminology and Criminal Justice (CCJS) Ceremony
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020
Time: 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Location: Reckord Armory
Tickets are not required for the CCJS ceremony and students are not required to RSVP. However, seating in the Armory is limited so we request that students keep their total number of guest to no more than six people. We want to ensure that all graduates are able to have their immediate family present.
- Undergraduate Students: Assemble in regalia at 8:15 AM in the basement of the Armory. Check-in with a graduation marshal to obtain your name card and receive line-up/processional information. Students can access the basement of the Armory by using the basement stairs outside of the building. Students can also access the staircases to the basement from inside the main entrance to the Armory.
- Masters and PhD Students: Assemble in regalia at 8:30 AM in the basement of the Armory. Check-in with a graduation marshal to obtain your name card and proceed to the faculty robing room.
Doors will open for guests at approximately 8:30 AM. There will be a bag screening for all students and guests upon entering the Armory, so we ask that everyone limit the amount and size of bags in order to avoid delays. Parents, guests, and students cannot bring food into the Armory. Additionally, there is no place to store strollers and strollers cannot be placed in the aisles, therefore, we ask that guests please refrain from bringing strollers into the facility.
Parking is free and open on commencement days. Please do not feed meters or park in fire lanes. Recommended parking closest to the Armory is available in Regents Drive Garage (see map). It is a 10 minute walk from the garage to the Armory. There will be a free shuttle with a stop at Regents and another stop at the Main Administration building. The campus shuttle schedule is available on the commencement website.
There will be a handicapped drop-off area outside of the Armory where guests can drive up to the rear (accessible) entrance of the Armory (see map) and drop off anyone who requires physical assistance. The Armory will open at 8:30 AM, please be mindful when dropping guests off early. There are a small amount of handicapped parking spots available outside of the Armory, which will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Guests will need a state issued handicapped placard or license plates to park in these spaces. Lot L immediately surrounding the Armory is not available for guest parking.
For driving directions and campus maps visit: http://cvs.umd.edu/visitors/maps.html.
Disabled guests and/or families who need to avoid stairs can enter the Armory through the rear (accessible) entrance adjacent to the Main Administration building (see map). This door opens directly onto the gym floor and once guests enter the Armory, they can sit anywhere they like. The Armory is floor seeing only, no bleachers or stairs. Wheelchair seating will be marked off, so guest should see a commencement volunteer (wearing name tags) or an usher (in yellow jackets) for assistance.
If additional accommodations are needed please send an email to Diane Hou at ccjsevents [at] umd.edu.
In order to participate in both the campus-wide and BSOS ceremonies, students must purchase academic regalia at the University Book Center.
- Active duty military can wear their dress uniforms instead of regalia
- Honor cords and medals are placed on top of the stole
- The hood should be put on last (on top of the stole with honor cords). The button loop on your hood should be facing down
GradImages will take photographs of each graduate participating in the CCJS commencement ceremony. While there is no obligation to purchase the prints, graduates will receive access to the color proofs by email approximately two weeks after commencement along with ordering information. For more information, contact GradImages at 800.628.4509 or visit https://www.gradimages.com/.
Things to Consider
- The CCJS ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes
- Graduates – you will be standing a long time. You will also be walking across a stage with lots of people watching you. Wear comfortable shoes
- Graduates – do not bring items such as book bags or purses. There will not be a place for graduates to store belongings and the regalia does not have pockets
- Designate a place to meet your family after the ceremony
- If you have any additional questions, please contact Diane Hou at (301) 405-4729 or at ccjsevents [at] umd.edu
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I have to apply for graduation?
A: Students who will be finishing degree requirements this Spring 2020 semester and plan to graduate must apply for graduation. The Application for graduation is due by Friday, February 7, 2020 electronically via Testudo.
Q: Do I have to attend either of the commencement ceremonies?
A: Participation in the campus-wide and CCJS ceremonies are encouraged, but not mandatory. If a student chooses not to participate in the commencement ceremonies, he/she will still receive their diploma.
Q: Will I receive my diploma at graduation?
A: No, you will not receive your diploma at graduation. Your diploma will be sent to the diploma mailing address specified at the time the student’s application for graduation was submitted. If a diploma mailing address was not specified, the diploma will be mailed to your permanent address. Diplomas will be mailed several weeks after graduation.